Thursday, October 18, 2012

Well here I stand, that's right, standing unassisted., but still in the R2D2 boot.  It will take a couple of weeks before I can shed the boot.  Healing has progressed as expected and the fusions are fusing as they should be.  I have been OK'd to put full weight on the ankle.  It is up too me and how well I respond as to how fast things progress.

I got to stand on it today without the brace.  It felt weird but very stable, and for the first time in over 4 years I was flat footed.  Heck of a deal.

So for now the time line sort of looks like this:

  • next two weeks get used to walking without support but with the boot.
  • I will then try on shoes and give that a try depending on how comfortable I feel, I can then graduate to a shoe. I can begin to drive the golf cart around the apartments so I can get used to operating the gas and brake again, with minimal chance of hurting me or anything else.  I feel like I'm 14 again sneaking  out to pull the car down the driveway to wash it.
  • once I feel like I can handle it I can graduate to the big boy car and drive around the lot and our neighbor hood.  If I feel I can not endanger others I can start to drive.
  • The hope is that by Christmas I am back in the saddle and driving as before.

I stated way back that I figured It would take 200 days to be fully recovered.  That would be January 14, 2013.  Dr Feinblatt told me to make an appointment for 90 days out, at which time he expects me to be Jogging (yea right) into his office fully healed. 90 days from to day is January 17, 2013.  I guessed it pretty close considering I was in a drug induce stupor when I said that.

Thanks for all the support and well wished.

Here are some of the X-rays promised at the last update:









No comments:

Post a Comment